Milverton is situated on Perth County Road 131, 27 kilometres North of Stratford and 27 kilometres South of Listowel.

Early Settlers

In 1848, Andrew West, a shoemaker from New York State, settled on a farm at the corner of what is now William and Church Streets. One year later, he opened a hotel. A blacksmith shop and other businesses soon followed at the settlement , known as West's Corner. Mr. West died in 1858, and his tombstone and grave are in the old Methodist Cemetery, now the Mennonite Cemetery. In 1871, Rev. P. Musgrove, a Presbyterian Minister from Milverton, England, suggested that the name of West's Corner be changed to Milverton. The first Post Office was established in 1854, and the present building was erected in 1917.

The original log schoolhouse was built in 1856 on Main St. North. A grist mill was built in 1871 at the location of what later became Topnotch Feeds Ltd. In 1891, Thomas Whally established the first newspaper and began a brickyard.

Community Groups

The Milverton Agricultural Society had its beginning in the Mornington Agricultural Society, which was established in 1865. Fair Day is usually on the fourth weekend in September.

Charter night for the Milverton Lions Club was in January 1940. Their den is at the Legion Hall as the Lions donated a good portion of the cost of the Legion addition. The Lions Club built the swimming pool in 1950 and the picnic shelter in Greenwood Park, and they have sponsored hockey and ball teams, and a 4-H Club.

The Milverton & District Branch No. 565, Royal Canadian Legion, was established on March 11, 1957. Branch 565 has been identified with community service in repairing and adapting the Milverton Fair Hall for their Legion Hall. Each year, a Decoration Day service takes place in June, and a Remembrance Day Church Parade is held in conjunction with a service and banquet. The Branch sponsors the Milverton Legion Band.

Historical Events

1881 - In January, the first Council meeting of the Corporation of the Village of Milverton.

1909 - Carnegie Library established.

1916 - First Hydro Electric power turned on. Prior to 1916, there were gas streetlights owned by Casper Grosch. It was said that Harry Ford started lighting the gas lamps in the evening, and by the time he had them lit, it was morning and time to extinguish them.

1917 - First ice rink built, replaced in 1950, and replaced again in 2003.

1919 - Municipal Water System.

1967 - The Sewage System began operating, with additions in 1981.

1979 - Milverton and District Kinsmen Club became the 99th Chartered Kinsmen Club in Ontario.

Customer Service